Questions: Women and Industrialization
1. As industrialization spread to other areas of the world in the 19th and 20th centuries, how did the treatment of workers compare to what you have learned about the treatment of workers at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th century?
2. How did the process of commercialization and then industrialization affect women workers in particular?
3. How did education or the lack of education for women tie into the push for nationalism or independence movements?
4. How did the process of colonization affect women economically? Politically?
5. What were the similar outcomes or results for women, if any, from the global processes of industrialization and colonialism?
6. What accounted for the differences in the experiences of women in these various societies?
7. Using the chart and world map of gender issues from the previous units, what were the changes in women’s economic role? The continuities?
8. What additional types of sources would have helped in understanding women’s economic role in this time period?
9. What might we predict about women’s economic role for the beginning of the 20th century?